Re: RE: [Fwd: ARLB035 FCC declines to grant amateur LF allocation; gives five channels at 5 MHz]

on 5/16/03 8:27 PM, Scott Townley wrote:

> "Amateur Satellite" is different from "Amateur", actually. As different as
> "Amateur" is from "Broadcasting"...it's a completely different "service".
> Technically, the FCC could license "Amateur Satellite" separately from
> "Amateur", but they don't.
> So the distinction is real.  Hams doing terrestrial at 2401MHz are
> protected, but hams doing satellite at 2401 are not.

It's very confusing for sure.  But what "station" is acting in satellite
service?  Is it the satellite itself or does the ham on the ground beaming
at the satellite count as satellite service?  And then does listening count
as satellite service or would that be amateur service (after all, anyone can
"listen".).

So to me, the fact that amateur service has been granted primary has far
more weight than the satellite service.  With the fact that our antennas are
generally high gain and pointed skyward, the potential for interference to
us is less.  And by granting the Amateur service primary status it WILL
indeed help the Amateur Satellite service as perhaps more manufacturers will
be inclined to default their 2.4 GHz equipment to other channels.

Who knows.  Life goes on.

73,

Jon
NA9D