Re: FCC Rules Amateur Satellite Service is NOT Primary at 2400 MHz

I'm not surprised at all considering the ARRL's weak half-hearted support.
While they say it is "needed" they close by saying we can  "accommodate Part
15 and Part 18 devices at 2.4 GHz".  Factor in the concerns and investments
of the commercial interests and it is not surprising that the FCC decided to
let us keep "accommodating" them just as the ARRL suggested.

http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/02/0510/
<begin quote>
The FCC said its proposal to upgrade the Amateur Service allocation at
2400 to 2402 MHz to primary "seeks to protect current amateur use of this
band." Hams have shared their other 2.4 GHz spectrum on a secondary basis
with government users.

Amateurs already are primary at 2390 to 2400 and from 2402 to 2417 MHz.
The ARRL has said primary status in the intervening spectrum slice was
needed "to provide some assurances of future occupancy of the band
segments for the next generation of amateur satellites."

The ARRL has expressed its belief that hams can continue to accommodate
Part 15 and Part 18 devices at 2.4 GHz.
<end quote>

I wonder if the League's position would be different if they were proposing
allowing Part 15 devices that would wipe out the entire 20m band with S9+
signals.

Lee-KU4OS