RE: FCC Rules Amateur Satellite Service is NOT Primary at 2400 MHz

Gunther and other mode-S operators,

I hadn't seen this final report, so found it interesting (to use a word).
Pretty much a case of "the horses getting out of the barn"!  The time to
lobby and obtain primary or secondary user status was ten-years ago.  Now
satellite up-linking is essentially DOA if we have to live with NIB to the
WI-FI, wireless phones, etc.

I predict down-linking will follow along within 5-10 years for those using
2-3 foot dishes.  One will need to have to have a surplus SNR >10 or 15 dB
to counter the RFI and likely will involve skirted dishes and advanced
DSP-NR techniques.  I would say those moving up to 7.5-10 foot dishes now
will be ahead of the curve for a little bit longer.  Or the satellites will
need much higher ERPs!

Where will we be protected for microwave satellite use in the future????

Ed - AL7EB

At 06:41 PM 5/15/03 -0400, Gunther Meisse wrote:
>BOY!! What a classic case: FOLLOW THE MONEY!!! The FCC, in the last 10+
>years, has always opened the gates, or allowed them to be opened, only
>to respond: WELLLLLLL! What ever became of the ALLOCATION LEADERSHIP
>that used to be the Commissions by-word????
>Gunther
>W8GSM
***snip**8