Re: Is "silvered" mylar a reflector of UHF/microwaves?

on 5/14/03 1:54 PM, Andrew Glasbrenner wrote:

> Bill, I'm about to find out. I just lined a 3 dollar Wal-mart umbrella with
> this stuff and a can of spray adhesive. Signal testing to be done soon. My
> gut feeling is it is reflective, but not 100%.

Hey Drew,

If it doesn't work, then you'd have a BBQ dish to cook burgers on and a nice
silver umbrella to keep you dry while flipping them!

:-)

Seriously, silver mylar is reflective for sure.  But is the umbrella a
properly shaped parabola?  And is the surface of the mylar smooth?
Umbrellas generally have ridges where the wire arms are.  And mylar film can
crinkle.  Any surface pertubations will cause scattering which will
certainly decrease the energy at the focal point.  But you probably knew
that!

Still, it's an interesting concept.  Let us know how it works.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden