The AO-40 FD Umbrella Contingency

Cat's outa the bag...

Well, based on my inquiries, and a few emails that I have gotten from
folks on the list, there appears to be at least a few of us that are
going to attempt large dishes (+50") based on oversized/beach/golf
umbrella's....  contraptions that may not last the weekend, held
together with duct tape and bailing twine, but it could be interesting
("roger your section ol man, antenna here is a Titleist").  Everyone,
please share your pictures when you are done. :-)

The biggest challenge appears to be making the darn things RF reflective
and keeping them on the ground. And think, when the skies open up
Saturday evening, we'll be all set.

A few links that I pulled over lunch in case you are intrigued:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/JA4DRP/Dish140cm/Index..html

http://www.uk.amsat.org/small_ao-40.htm
Notice JN1GKZ's slick dual U/S Feed

http://www.windbrella.net/beach.html
I wish that the material on this that makes it UV protective was
also RF reflecting, but it appears it is not.

http://www.sunspot.org.uk/sunbrella/

http://www.lessemf.com/fabric.html

http://www.g6lvb.com/brollydish.htm

http://www.g6lvb.com/brollydish2.htm

Anyone else have any others?

I have a 68" all fiberglass golf umbrella on order with a blow-thru
design...  this should be fun.

Bill
W1PA