Re: Fw: Here comes the QRM....

> Verizon starts to make pay phones into WiFi HotSpots...
>
> http://newscenter.verizon.com/proactive/newsroom/
> release.vtml?id=80218&PROACTIVE_ID=cecfc6ccc9cbcec8ccc5cecfcfcfc5cecece
> cac6cdcac6c9c6c5cf
>

> 73, Mark, N2MH

I'd be happy if we could just get manufacturers to set their default
base station channel to something other than channel 1, preferably
above channel 6 .. at least move the people who don't know how to
change their channel someplace where they don't QRM the weak signal
folks.  I know of one 802.11b/g manufacturer that's moved from channel
1 to channel 11, which is a start, but the rest could stand to follow
suit.

Not sure what can be done about the WAP's on the NY network, but what
can you hear on 2.4 GHz in downtown Manhattan?  I guess there's some
bleed-over into Jersey, but when you get into areas quiet enough to
need to avoid this stuff, you're out of line of sight and it's
attenuated down below your noise floor .. if they're going upstate with
this, then i can see potential problems, but if they're staying in NYC
they're already in a pretty polluted RF environment ..

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve
life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out
death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends." -- Gandalf