Re: Automatic AMSAT Antenna Rotators

On Fri, 9 May 2003 K5OE@aol.com wrote:

> WB4APR writes:
> > It is crazy that more software doesnt support the ubiquitous 24 VAC garden
> >  variety TV rotators.  I know this is apples and oranges, (AO-40 precision
> >  pointing versus the other 20 LEO amateur satellites), but it is SO easy to
> >  control a standard TV rotator...
>
> I think you underestimate how practical your software (and rotor
> interface circuit) could be for an AO-40 system.  Now about elevation
> control...  a polar mount with a manual elevation adjustment for the
> "drift" of AO-40 around the equator would be simple and effective.

Wow, I hadnt thought of that.  Just mount the TV rotator tilted back to
point at the North star, then the dish just moves along the AO-40 track
and my interface could do that just fine.  Besides, AO-40 moves slow, so
you just hit the "L" and "R" keys to peak Left and Right on the bird (if
it is slightly off) and then it will track all day...

> I don't think you have to apologize for your software/hardware innovations:
> they are perfectly usable for AO-40 if people would just think outside the
> Yaesu box.

Wow, Ill work on that soon.  Unfortunately I went to add a simple routine
to let the automatic rotator follow any APRS object such as a
balloon or aircraft and I broke the source code and it locks up.  I can't
do anything new till I find out what I broke.  But now that I use a
Windows PC, it takes 5 minues to re-boot for each test..  I hate it...

Bob