Re: Once again: Realistic BBQ Dish Gain with OriginalDipole Feed, an

Hmm.. I'd need to see the picture, that's for sure..

Here are some other options.

#1-- least desirable.  Make sure that during windstorms the dish is pointed
at 0 deg elevation, and the feed/face of the dish is perpendicular (sideways
to) the direction of the wind.  Can't control this if your not around.

#2 -- set the dish as high as you can in elevation.  If you can get it to 45
degrees, you'll have half the load on it, 60 degrees, half that, etc.
(ballpark numbers)

#3 -- assuming you have the setup on a roof or high up, move it to ground
level.  Trees are an issue here too, but for AO-40 you do not need 360
degree Az nor 180 El.

#4 -- Switch to TVRO actuators.  The P* dish is a negligable load for even
the cheapest TVRO actuators.

#5 -- build and add brakes to the rotors, with solenoids.  You could point
the dish to a predetermined AZ and EL when not in use and drop a bolt into a
hole, for example.

Fred W0FMS