Re: G-5500 down and out final report

Hmm.. Doing elevation with dish actuators is fairly easy.  I think HW store
angle iron and some bolts and welding would do this fine.

Azimuth is a little harder.  But using something like a Prosistel "Big Boy"
or the emotos for Az and a dish actuator for ele is probably a very workable
system.   Or build your own with surplus gear motors and go-kart parts..

Where most hams are going to have a problem, then is with the control box
for this.  I think the boxes that W0LMD are doing might be a good solution
to this as well.  I think he handles both pot and pulse actuators....
Otherwise homebrewing a PIC controller isn't to hard, or using commercial
TVRO boxes such at the "VBOXII" could work.. computer control wouldn't work
too well with the TVRO units, however.

The real problem is I think the market overall isn't good enough for the
Yaesu's of the world to fix their weak design.

Fred W0FMS