Re: Once again: Realistic BBQ Dish Gain with OriginalDipole Feed, an

on 5/7/03 9:45 PM, Andrew Glasbrenner at glasbrenner@mindspring.com wrote:

> But why drive a Yugo when for 10 bucks and an hour's effort you can be
> driving a Mustang GT?

Drew,

There's a number of reasons.  And I'll preface this with the fact that while
I have been using a BBQ, I am moving up to a different dish.  But the BBQ
has a number of advantages:

1.) Windloading - the BBQ has a LOT less windload than a solid dish.

2.) Weight - the BBQ weighs a lot less

3.) Cost - OK, this sounds odd as one can get a bigger dish for about the
same price.  But a lot of guys have limited ham budgets.  A number of us
bought the BBQs because we were assuming that the S1 TX would stay
operational.  If that was the case it would be a perfect antenna.  However,
now with just S2, there's a lot of guys that probably don't want to spend
another $50 to $100 to get a new antenna.  OK maybe it's less than that, but
add in costs to reinforce the mounting scheme, buy bigger rotors, etc. all
because the dish is so much larger and has more windload and you can
definitely increase the cost.

As in anything there are disadvantages and electrically the BBQ falls short.
But you know something, if a guy with a BBQ is happy and that's all he's
used he doesn't know any better!  Once my Primestar dish is up, I'll
probably write you back and say "What was I thinking?" but until I hear the
performance difference I have no idea how much better it really is.

I'll grant you that from a performance position your are completely correct.
It's just that performance isn't the only factor in the equation.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden