Re: Once again: Realistic BBQ Dish Gain with OriginalDipole Feed, an

on 5/7/03 8:54 PM, Bill Booth at 710138@ican.net wrote:

> So far I have made over 200 contacts with this antenna using AO-40.  I have
> more DXCC countries now than I ever did on HF.   These contact were not
> telephone quality, but I was able to carry out a QSO with very little
> effort.  I would say that it is about par with any QSO that I have had on
> AO-10 in the better years.

Absolutely!  The BBQ style has limitations for sure, but it has some very
good advantages.  One just has to understand that signals won't be all that
loud.  I've enjoyed using mine and have had a blast with it.  I'm going to
be putting up a Primestar dish soon because I do want to improve my
performance, but the weight and windload of the Primestar dish is much more
significant than the BBQ.  Hopefully, the performance will be improved
enough to compensate for the increased mechanical load!

The problem is that there was just false information going around that BBQ
users were overdriving the AGC of the bird because they couldn't hear
themselves.  And they were making it worse for everyone else.  I suppose
it's a "logical" conclusion that someone with a bigger dish could make.
They look at the AGC numbers and are convinced the high readings are due to
the guys who can't hear as well.  Yet even with the transponders turned off,
those AGC numbers are still high sometimes!  It's more likely some other
sort of received signal is doing it that isn't amateur at all!

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden