Re: Antenna comparison question

At 10:54 PM 5/6/2003 -0400, Andrew Glasbrenner wrote:
>Hi Steve.
>
>The Hy-Gain stuff is really MFJ, and I'm not even sure if you can get them
>yet...they have been advertised as coming soon for quite a while.

Ahh, I didn't realize that MFJ ended up with them.

>I don't have any M2 products, but have always been impressed at their
>ruggedness, and horrified at the prices. The eggbeaters, for example, are
>the biggest ripoff in the ham world pricewise. 2 wire loops, a piece of
>coax, and a connector for only 129$!!!!!

Hehe, I saw that. I plan on building an eggbeaterII for wefax reception.
The $20 in parts plus the satisfaction of building your own antenna is a
nice feature.

>And at the risk of starting the whole thread over again....find Kent
>Britain's article on metal crossbooms, and save that money for a preamp....

How about both? I should have just enough left in my budget for some pre-amps.

I'm still up in the air about antennas. I'm taking a look at the Gulf Alpha
antennas now as well (http://www.gulfalphaantennas.com/). While not as much
gain, they would fit my installation a little nicer. I'm going to use my
Yaesu 5400 in a split configuration with 2m, 222 and 70cm beams on the mast
with the elevation segment mounted at the top of the mast. I'm trying to
see if I'll have enough space. I figure if I used a 10' mast between the Az
and the El, I should be ok. Need to find some information about stacking
spacing.

Decisions, decisions...

-Steve
N1JFU