Re: Crystal question

Alan Leech wrote:

> I heard that crystals are etched with some sort of acid, to change the
> freq' upwards..  Dunno 'bout stability, though..

Oscillator crystals, made of quartz, can be etched using hydrofluoric
acid (HF).  However, you do NOT want to do this.  HF is extremely nasty
stuff, much worse than say, automobile battery acid.   Don't even think
about it.

Most oscillator crystals are cut with a diamond saw along certain
crystallographic planes, then ground to the correct thickness using
abrasive powders.  This is very difficult to do.

You can sometimes "pull" a crystal a little bit (to a higher frequency)
by grinding it yourself.  However, if you mistakenly grind one part more
than another, so that the sides are not parallel, then it will stop
oscillating.  You can also lower frequency a bit by rubbing a pencil on
the side of the crystal (not the case, the crystal inside).  Also
tricky, especially with modern small crystals.

W9IP
Michael R. Owen