G-5500 down and out final report

Thanks to everyone who confirmed my suspicions. You all were correct.
The 7806 6v regulator chip was history.
The local parts store chuckled and sold me a cross-referenced NTE chip.
(NTE962). Put it in and Walla, I can scratch that problem off the list.
Never fear, there is always something to fill the list back up. I went
into the family room to fire up the HDTV, and you guessed it, mother
nature does not want me to watch TV. The Rotor, the Runco projector and
Audio/Video control center are now ON the list...
I used to like lightning storms but now I am going to join the dog and
crawl under the bed.
73
Gunther
W8GSM