Re: Who is wasting uplink power?

>Hello all,
>I receive and save AO-40 telemetry with AO40Rcv regularly. When watching
>the status screen (F2) today I noticed substantial values on U-RX AGC.
>I know that the rx is switched on, but who is transmitting when the
>transponder is switched off?

I've been watching this phenomenon with interest for a while, and it's the
main reason we've left the U-band AGC as one of the WOD channels, though
this grabs only one "snapshot" every two MA units.  There is also a period
of increased AGC when the antennas appear to be pointing into space.  I
have observed several of these AGC pulses in real time and they fluctuate
and are somewhat intermittent.  Not the pattern I would expect from RADAR,
and more like what I see when the passband is active, but  who knows?

It would be of interest to track these and see if a pattern emerges.  If
you review the A-block telemetry for the pulses, the lon/lat now displayed
in the A-block can be logged to see if a pattern emerges.