Re: Re: Repeater on the Moon or geosat

whilst everything Daniel says is correct, can I share a little fantasy of
mine?

Imagine a standardised AMSAT geosat payload that would only be activated
AFTER the main payload has died or been declared no longer required and when
the sats have been moved to their higher orbits.

The extra weight of the payload would still be there but might be simply an
equivalent to the balance weights that are no doubt actually required.

The potential QRM problem to the main payload would be overcome though.

I am not sure of what stabilisation is used when the birds are "parked" and
this would affect the antenna design but there would certainly kilowatts of
power available even allowing for the decay of the solar panel outputs after
years in space.

If we could "mass" produce these units and if we had a little patience to
wait a few years, we could maybe develop a fine constellation of amateur
satellites? No doubt one or two might even become available rather more
quickly than the builders/owners would wish.

If we could think up some positive PR/publicity for this concept then maybe
we convince the builders/owners that it would be a good idea. For instance
perhaps, earth imaging for crop disease fires etc, emergency comms facility
for future manned flights, emergency relay facilities for??? etc etc

cheers

Graham G3VZV