Apology to Bob, the flu, and gunshot deaths

Wait a minute...now you're picking on doctors!  (I'm sensitive about the
malpractice part!)

If anybody cares,  the CDC web site says  "About 36,000 Americans die on
average per year from the complications of flu."

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/flu/facts.htm#11

In comparison firearm deaths are less...but not much.  I did a quick search
through the CDC website and found data for 1997, presumably a typical year.
That year "32,436 deaths resulted from firearm-related injuries, making such
injuries the second leading cause of injury mortality in the United States
after motor-vehicle-related incidents "

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4845a1.htm

I read somewhere:

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in
numbers, you know something about it, but when you cannot measure
it , when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager
and unsatisfactory kind. It may be the beginning of knowledge, but you
have scarcely, in your thoughts advanced to the stage of science."

Lord Kelvin

Actually, I'm excited that public health issues are finally showing up
here...finally a topic that I actually know something about.
Grant Zehr (MD) AA9LC