Re: AW: Repeater on the Moon

Bob

Why complicate your life?  There are several places near the south pole of the Moon that have a day/night cycle in the 90/10  percent range.  It is MUCH easier to keep a solar powered system alive and warm for a day or three rather than for two weeks as is the case that you all have been talking about.  If you do a google search and find the Clementine data set there is a movie of potential sites at the south pole that are of this type.

There is at least one or two that are full sun for 99.5-100% of the time.  Now you get into precision landing issues but it is much easier to do this today than it was 35 years ago, especially when you are able to keep line of site to the lander on the way down.

The really nice thing about this is that you could team with some of the NASA probes or the commerical wannabes that want to do this and horsetrade RF knowledge in return for a payload on the lander.  Hint hint hint to those out there who want to do this.

I am actually interested in this particular site as it is the best place for a radio relay from potential landers into the permanently dark areas where thee water is.  Fortunately these are directly adjacent to the permanently lit areas.

I can guarantee you that this will be one more valuable tower location.  There is more at this location than just the tippy top, if you belive the Clementine imagery.

Dennis