Re: Repeater on the Moon

I'll have to admit I'm new to AMSAT, and this is certainly to have been brought up
before, but as to issues of paying for satellites, particularly the _really_ expensive
stuff (such as geostationary, moon-based, etc.), what has been the consideration in the
past of a "partnership" between commercial interests and AMSAT on a _single_ package?
For example, Hughes is probably the best known satellite maker in the U.S.  Has Hughes
ever been approched with the concept of integrating a small amateur package _into_ one
of their satellites?  Since they're going up anyway, I'm sure the funds could more
easily be raised to "modify" an existing satellite design, rather than building and
launching one from scratch.  Adding another foot or so to the size shouldn't be that
much more expensive (maybe I'm wrong).

The same would go for any launch to the moon.  A partnership with someone with bigger
pockets would certainly be less expensive than a full-blown individual effort.

As I say, I'm new here, and haven't thought this through entirely.  Just something I
think about when not multi-tasking :)

Karl, WA5TMC