Re: Repeater on the Moon

Bruce Bostwick <lihan161051@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>3) Pointing the gain antennas.
>
>This might be an easy one.  How accurately does the antenna need to be
>pointed?  The earth doesn't move much in the lunar sky, mainly from
>eccentricity/libration effects, and all of these motions are predictable at
>least to some extent.  It's probably worthwhile putting in some az/el
>control of the high-gain antenna into the command system, if nothing else
>but fine tuning, but your high-gain antenna is going to be pointed pretty
>close to the earth at all times.  Depending on what the pattern of the
>antenna is, it might be sufficient to position it so the center of its
>pattern is aimed at the center of the earth's relative motion -- this would
>reduce the power demand from steering the high-gain to track the earth and
>would keep the gain antenna more or less correctly pointed if (i.e. when)
>the az/el motors fail.

G3RUH wrote an article about this. You can also work it
out from any standard astronomical reference. I find Meeus
to be a good reference.

This is also an utterly fundamental requirement for such
a proposal, since it limits the antenna gain you can use
on the Moon, which determines the RF output power you
must generate to establish communication.

Grid: CN89lg                    pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.57 N 123 0.24 W        - Hospital/Shafte