RE: HF +satellite radio?

I've used a FT-847 extensively on HF and satellite since before the TS-2000 was on the market.

The FT-847 gives satisfactory HF performance after I added 2.1 kHz SSB and 400 Hz CW crystal filters from InRad (these filters are much better than the Collins mechanical filters).  But the cost of those filters is almost $300, making the cost of the "properly equipped" FT-847 not that much cheaper than the TS-2000.

I don't understand why FSK would be a selling point for the TS-2000.  You can do RTTY and all other HF digital modes without true FSK capability.  Just hook up a computer sound card to the radio's data port and use software such as Hamscope or MixW.  Does ANYBODY do FSK the old-fashioned way any more?

For DXpeditions, the FT-847 would score points for being smaller and lighter than the TS-2000.  If you ever need to use L-band uplink, the TS-2000 would be the obvious winner.  In my opinion, the decision depends primarily on how much money you have to spend, and whether or not you need L-band capability.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA