From: "Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604" <faunt@panix.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2003 19:11
Subject: [amsat-bb] HF +satellite radio?

Hi All,
I'm beginning to think about getting a satellite+HF rig, for
DXpedition use, mostly.

The two candidates are the FT-847 and TS2000 (in any of its
incarnations).

I've used the FT-847 on the satellites, and it seems to be popular,
but anecdotal evidence seems to indicate it's not a great HF rig.

Other anecdotal evidence indicates the TS2000 is a good HF rig (and
it's got FSK).  Does the TS2000 work well on the satellites?
Can the version without the front panel be used reasonably, or with the
mobile remote front panel, for HF and satellites?  I like the idea of
the remote front panel, since the heavy bits and the fragile bits can
be packed separately.  And it's not THAT ugly.

Any opinions are welcome.

73, doug