Re: Repeater on the Moon

There are a few major problems to overcome.

We've touched on the expense of getting even a very small payload to
the lunar surface (how I wish we had been discussing this while there
were still spaces open in the Apollo ALSEP's!), and the fact that you
can only use solar power two weeks out of every four, but the biggest
problem I see is that cycling through about 400 degrees every month is
going to be very hard on the electronics.  The ALSEP experiments didn't
survive more than a few months, and they had a SNAP-27 RTG for
continuous power during the lunar night -- it's not just a matter of
powering down, it's surviving thermal cycling that LEO and GTO sats
don't have to deal with.

But it's not insurmountable.  Just requires some innovative
engineering.  IMHO, the best starting point would be to find a way to
simulate operation in vacuum and in that thermal environment ..