Re: coax running

>I'm looking for stuff to do while waiting for AO-40.  I have seen
>different pictures of your antennas and a few run the coax back up the
>boom to the cross boom, over then down the tower.  Many (mine included)
>droop the coax off the back of the yagi to the tower.  Is one preferred
>over the other?  The drooping method can add weight, the other looks
>neater.  Comments?

Bob, I drape mine from the end, and contrary to some objections to that
procedure because the coax deteriorates, is a bunch of malarky.  I tape a
very stiff piece of wire, 1/4 circle, about 15" radius off the end of the
boom, and tape the coax to it....I then loop it back to the mast, and tape
it securely to the mast.

I've been doing that for over 20 years, and have NEVER damaged the coax.

We get pretty good ultra-violet and salt air exposure so I replace it about
5-6 years for that reason, but never because of damage due to flexing..

Running a conductor thru the pattern is bound to cause some deterioration
of signal, and I'll let the experts tell me how much, so why not eliminate
every tenth of a db???

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....