Re: Lunar repeater?

On Friday, Apr 25, 2003, at 18:08 US/Central, Ray Soifer wrote:

> Gimme a break!   Arne Coro, CO2KK, worked KB8RQ and W5UN off the moon
> on 2m
> with 22 watts and two 5-element Yagis, and that was using CW.  Now we
> have
> JT44.  There is no need whatever for a lunar repeater.  It's a concept
> invented in the 1960s by Nick Marshall, and if Nick were around today
> he
> would have re-thunk it.  If you want to work EME, go work EME.

Repeater as in FM, no.  Transponder, maybe.  It would sure be less
vulnerable to hijacking by the taxi services overseas .. and it might
make it a little more feasible for us mortals to work EME SSB without a
big Texas backyard full of 2M Yagis .. ;-)
                   Bruce Bostwick N5VB

Heard from a flight instructor:
"The only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask, resulting in my
going out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of
torn and twisted metal."