Re: Toronto

At 09:50 PM 4/24/2003, sco@sco-inc.com wrote:
>I think I heard that there is a State Dept advisory against all travel to
>Toronto/Canada.  If any of us go there we might not be allowed to re-enter
>the USA,

No government agency has issued an advisory "against all travel" to
Toronto, and no government agency has said anyone "might not be allowed to
re-enter".  WHO and CDC have issued advisories that mention Toronto.  WHO
is now recommending postponing travel to Toronto, and says it will
reevaluate in a few weeks.  CDC says don't visit health care
facilities.  Essential portions below.

While these are much less extreme than your message suggested, they may be
enough to scare away a lot of folks.

WHO:
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/notes/2003/np7/en/

WHO extends its SARS-related travel advice to Beijing and Shanxi province
in China and to Toronto, Canada
23 April 2003 -- As a result of ongoing assessments as to the nature of
outbreaks of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in Beijing and Shanxi
Province, China, and in Toronto, Canada, WHO is now recommending, as a
measure of precaution, that persons planning to travel to these
destinations consider postponing all but essential travel. This temporary
advice, which is an extension of travel advice previously issued for
Guangdong Province and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China, will
be reassessed in three weeks time.

CDC:
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/other/sars_can.htm

Interim Travel Alert: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
(Released April 23, 2003, 12:30 PM)
CDC recommends that U.S. travelers to Toronto observe precautions to
safeguard their health, see:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/sars/travel_advice.htm. This includes avoidance
of settings where SARS is most likely to be transmitted, such as health
care facilities caring for SARS patients.

PS: I'm not a doctor, but I have been following this issue.