Re: joining galvanized metal

na9d-2@speakeasy.net said:

>>>There's some stuff you can do.  There's a guy at Dayton every year that
sells these low temperature welding sticks that you can do with galvanized
metal.  I think all you have to do is brush off some of the surface and prep
it.  I know these will work on aluminum but I think they'll do galvanized
metal.  I have his info out in the garage and can send it to you if you
like.<<<

As a quasi-metallurgist in both the steel and aluminum industry, I have to
mention that Zinc (which is your galvanizing of course) has a lower melting
temperature than steel, the base metal. Any joining process has to take into
account the removal of the "protective" Zinc layer by heat and how much of
the protective coating you desire to remain intact. Anything that melts the
zinc to effect a bond is going to be suspect in leaving the base metal and
bonding material exposed.

Some industrial solutions to this dilemma include; overlap of the joints,
welding the interior seam and sealing the outer, exposed seam.  Cold spray
galvanizing is a consideration for exposed steel, though not very much
integrity is guaranteed, painting or epoxy sealing of the seam is a
possibility also.

Zinc melts at 785 degrees F and Lead at approx 650 degrees F. A careful
soldering experience may prove useful, a physical lockseam filled with solder
might be better if full "roundness" is not required.... solder would also
cover the exposed cutting edge which is typically only covered 40% by the
"rollover" of zinc during the cutting process.

Then again...how long will you be exposing it to weather?...next I'll have
you doing salt-spray tests...sorry

Roger
WA1KAT