Re[4]: Don't Hear Nothin'

Hallo Jon,

> Then your system must be quite hot!  I've read numerous posts about how
> there's a significant null (60 dB or so??) around 45 degrees in the S2
> antenna.  A number of people have mentioned they can't copy it at that
> point.

I'm surprised myself, see also my posting of today to amsat-bb. Not only
that I could receive so many good CRCs, even the signalstrength was
unexpectedly good during the whole orbit, as long as the bird was in my
range.

> Isn't the G3RUH dish just 60 cm?  That's about 2 feet, so you are doing very
> good if you are copying the beacon at squints around 45 degrees.  I know the
> DB6NT stuff is very good.

Yes, it is just 60 cm, see http://www.jrmiller.demon.co.uk/products/s_ant.html.
DB6NT gear reaches the physical limits, I believe. I can hear with it
"the grass growing" as we say in German.

73,
 Reinhard
 DJ1KM