Re: joining galvanized metal

At 04:49 PM 4/23/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Is it possible to solder galvanized metal together?  Are there any
>fume/chemical issues to be concerned with?  Or is that a welder's job?
>Thanks
>
>Scott Townley NX7U
>Gilbert, AZ  DM43di

Hi Scott

Well the answer is both yes and no....

You CAN'T really solder Galvanized metal together, but you can make the
solder stick.
I used to solder drip pans for under the house A/C units that were put in
the attic and we had to solder the corners to make it water tight. For what
we were doing the joint was strong enough. You do need to clean it well and
use a good bit of flux and kind of puddle it across the joint. What are you
trying to glue together???

Like I said, the answer is yes and no...

73, Bill N4XEO

E- Mail mailto: n4xeo@amsat.org
home page:        http://www.qsl.net/n4xeo
Fort Pierce arc:  http://www.qsl.net/w4akh