Re: Barbecue Grill with Patch

Rick:

Can you give me an idea of the mounting you used for the
patch/downconverter?

I tried the same thing by making a tee out of 1/2" U channel
aluminum -- tee about 4" long, shaft about 18" long. I
screwed the tee to the center base of the BBQ dish, offset
to the edge so the patch would point to the center. Then I
clamped a DEM Preamp/patch, to the shaft, with the patch
about 14" from the dish surface.

Unfortunately, this was a week ago Saturday about 1:30 PM,
when the squint was very high. We heard NOTHING. I was told
by a fellow ham that the aluminum post effectively provided
a ground impedance to the received signal, thus, it couldn't
work. I haven't done anything with it since, but I haven't
given up hope either.

What does the collective wisdom here think? Is the aluminum
shaft a bad idea? Should I use wood or fiberglass instead?
Any other mounting ideas?

Thanks,
Art N3OY

--