Re: Barbecue Grill with Patch

on 4/21/03 1:34 PM, Farrell  Winder at fwinder@one.net wrote:

> Has anone had experience with replacing the dipole on a Barbecue Grill dish
> with a G3RUH Patch?  If so,  was there substantial improvement?  Thanks any
> information or references.  73, Farrell Winder, W8ZCF, Cincinnati, Ohio.

To get the full benefit of a circularly polarized patch, you would need to
change the dish itself into a CP capable reflector.  Currently the BBQ
dishes just have elements in one plane, making them horizontal or vertical
depending on orientation.

Adding mesh to the dish to do this would certainly make performance better.

I believe K5OE has done some work on this and I think he made the "rectangle
of the BBQ dish into a full blown circle.

I was going to do some experiments with my BBQ to try to improve things but
I did buy a Primestar dish that I plan on putting up in the next couple
months so I probably don't need to mess with the BBQ any more....

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden