Re: re:Linear Trasnponders

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, William Leijenaar wrote:

> >With many universities building satellites, My guess is that if someone
> >would build a small 30 KHz wide linear transponder, that someone wouild
> >find a ride for it.
>
> Only a 30kHz SSB reciever makes not a transponder. And why only 30kHz..

My observation of Amateur Satellites over the last 20 years has never seen
even 30 KHz of transponders in use.  Thus why build 100 KHz wide
transponders and just waste power.  30 KHz could support 9 separate voice
QSO's and either 10 CW QSO's or 30 PSK-31 qsos.  I have never heard of
anything approaching that on FO-20, FO-29, RS12-13, AO-40 or any other
bird.  Except maybe one day a year at Fielday..

> ... and why PSK31 ?...  A transponder has the best advantage that you
> can do many modes and > experiments, not only PSK31...

Our PSK-31 linear transponder on PCSAT2 is only 3 KHz wide.  I would much
rather let 20 people use the bird at once then just have the same old
"too-crowded" problems that we see on the FM birds... where only one user
at a time can fit.

Bob