Re: AMSAT-NA Nets via Internet?

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 11:27, DOUGLAS KUITULA wrote:
> Hi All,
>  I've been hearing some talk on the local Detroit area repeaters about
> linking VHF and UHF repeaters around the world via the internet. This got
> me thinking about using that system to have a North American AMSAT Net
> using the internet.

If you're talking about repeater to repeater linking (which it sounds
like) you're most likely talking about IRLP (Internet Radio Linking
Project which can be found at www.irlp.net.  What's required is a
computer running linux, an internet connection (dsl or cable preferred,
can be a dialup although voice quality will suffer).  And a small board
to interface the radio to the pc available from a ham in canada.  You
can link multiple repeaters together via a reflector.  One of the more
popular reflectors in Indianapolis usually has 15-25 repeaters linked to
it at any given time.  Most reflectors have 10 separate "channels" that
can be joined.  So it wouldn't be very difficult to get a group of IRLP
repeaters on a reflector channel and hold an Amsat net of some sort.
There are already several nets held on IRLP.

Anyhow, check out www.irlp.net to learn more.

Ryan Butler
KB0JQO
kb0jqo@amsat.org