AMSAT-NA Nets via Internet?

Hi All,
 I've been hearing some talk on the local Detroit area repeaters about
linking VHF and UHF repeaters around the world via the internet. This got
me thinking about using that system to have a North American AMSAT Net
using the internet.
 Being "digitally challenged", I don't have a clue as to what is required
at the repeater site. Phone line, DSL, cable connection, Cray computer?
Can more than two repeaters be linked at one time?
 I know we've got this BBS, internet chat rooms, local AMSAT-NA nets. As
well as the AMSAT-NA HF nets that do a great job of giving hams a source
of satellite information and provide the chance to pass along ideas. This
may be another way for areas that don't have local (2M, 440, 220, etc.)
AMSAT-NA nets to participate via voice.
 There are probably a bunch of reasons why this would be a bad or good
idea. But I think we all agree that anything we can do to generate more
interest in amateur  satellite communication, is worth the effort.
 Oh well. Just a thought. 73 de Doug KA8QCU