Re: need brand name white paint recommendations

I've painted aluminum, but not for a dish.  I know the paint you use
needs to have certain electrical characteristics to avoid drastically
reducing the reflectivity of the dish on the band you intend to use it
for, so I'll leave that up to the people who paint dishes regularly and
have some experience with what type of paint works best .. you sound
like you're already on the right track with that.

The operative word when painting aluminum is CLEAN.  You want as little
oxide or surface contaminants on the dish as possible.  If you have
some extremely fine sandpaper, you may well want to sand the dish
surface to cut down to the bare metal and then wipe ALL the dust off of
it so you have clean bare metal.  (There will be a thin oxide layer
shortly after you do this, but as long as it's clean it shouldn't
affect this too much.)  Once you have the surface of the dish clean
enough that it feels totally smooth to the touch, paint it IMMEDIATELY.
  It may also help to let the dish warm up in the sun as you sand it --
paint sticks very well to a warm surface because it dries from the
surface out and bonds much better ..

On Friday, Apr 11, 2003, at 09:48 US/Central, Ronald Long wrote:

> I need to paint a bare 60 cm solid aluminum dish with white paint.
> I know I want flat white preferably with a high percentage of titanium
> dioxide pigment.
> Also I assume that the bare aluminum must be primed with something.
> Spray can types would seem to be easier if available.
>
> Since I am sure lots of you have already done this, before I start
> shopping, perhaps some could share the brand names (widely available
> in USA) that you used.
>
> thanks
> ron w8gus

> author.