Re: Re: L1 orbit maybe interresting for HAM ?

On Wednesday, Apr 9, 2003, at 15:35 US/Central, William Leijenaar wrote:

> Hi AMSATs,
>
> I see all these interresting orbits have also disadvantages :-(
> The only orbit I can think out is a sun orbit, but this is not very
> easy to do I guess...
>
> This means the only stable and useable satellite orbit is an earth
> orbit ??
>

> 73 de PE1RAH, William

For now, yes.  If you don't have the equivalent of a Goldstone dish
with liquid helium cooled LNA and a rack of TWT amps for your uplink,
your antenna/TX setup is unlikely to have enough gain or directivity to
be able to use a sat much farther away than GEO.  The moon (~200K
miles) is a bit of a stretch by ham standards, even, and L1/L2 are more
like 46 million miles away from here, which I doubt would be usable for
more than maybe a half dozen people that I know of ..

"Go ahead and do it, you can apologize later." -- RADM Grace Hopper,
1906-1992
"The sunset is an illusion, but the beauty is real." -- Richard Bach