Re: L1 orbit maybe interresting for HAM ?

On Wednesday, Apr 9, 2003, at 09:27 US/Central, William Leijenaar wrote:

> Hi AMSATs,
>
> I just read about the ACE satellite which has a very special orbit.
> Its orbit is called L1, what is between the sun and earth gravity.
> The satellite stays at a fixed distance to the earth, while orbiting
> the sun :-)
>
> I think this kind of orbit would be interresting for far distance
> communication :-) Not that far as P5A to Mars, but not that short as
> P3d.
>
> The only problem is maybe radiation, heat, and sun noise :-(
> Its just an idea...

Well, L1 isn't really stable enough for an unpowered sat to stay in ..
it would drift out into an ordinary solar orbit fairly quickly.
Likewise with L2, and possibly L3.  L4/L5 are the only ones stable
enough to keep an unpowered bird in place.  For more info, a Google
search for "three body problem" might be illuminating ..
                   Bruce Bostwick N5VB