R: AO-10 mode L/U

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Glasbrenner <glasbrenner@mindspring.com>
To: amsat-bb <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 12:28 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] AO-10 mode L/U

> So, do any old timers remember is L/U worked on 10? Any descriptions or
> ideas on how it might sound on solar panels only?
>
> I'm really surprised no one commented to the -bb about this. I've not
heard
> from anyone who actually worked it in L/U ever....
>
> 73, Drew KO4MA

Hi Drew,

I started to operate in mode L/U with AO-13 but i was listening the AO-10
mode L/U downlink and it was concentrated around 436.600 MHz

Mode L/U on AO-10 was activated only at low squint angle and it was very
hard to work and it was populated mostly by few EME stations that where
using mode L/U to coordinate their EME schedules.

>From the above EME group i do remember very well OE9XXI or OE9PMJ and his
signal was one of the strongest in the passband.

My idea is that AO-10 cannot sound on mode L/U on solar panels only.

Mode L/U on AO-13 was much better but for a decent SSB QSO it was necessary
to use 120 watt pep in to a 4 x 23 element yagi.

73" de i8CVS Domenico