AMSAT.ORG outage

A few days ago, there was a mechanical failure of the AMSAT.ORG
server's hard disk drive. The drive has been replaced, and the web
pages, FTP archives, mail alias system, and mailing lists have now
been successfully recovered from recent backups. Thanks are due to
our hosts, who volunteered their efforts to help recover the system.
Thank you all for your patience during this outage.

A few glitches remain to be worked out, but most services are
working. If you notice any remaining problems, please let me know.

No subscriptions to mailing lists on amsat.org were dropped. You
should automatically begin receiving the messages again, as before.
As usual, if you need to make changes to your subscription you should
send commands by email to majordomo@amsat.org. The "help" command
will ask majordomo to send you instructions.

Some few messages that were sent to callsign@amsat.org aliases in the
seconds just before the failure will have been destroyed. Any
messages that were sent to callsign@amsat.org during the outage
should have
been either held by the sending system for later delivery, or
"bounced" back to the sender with an error message. However, some
email systems do not reliably generate such error messages, so there
is no guarantee. All messages should be getting through normally now.

Users who subscribe to automated mailing lists on other systems using
their callsign@amsat.org mail alias address may find that they have
been unsubscribed by those other systems, because their email has
been "bouncing". I suggest that callsign@amsat.org mail aliases
should NOT be used for these subscriptions. It just adds delay to
each message delivery, and makes this kind of failure possible. Since
you are able to subscribe to the automated mailing lists and change
your address there at will, there is no need to use the convenient
callsign@amsat.org address for that. Resubscribe to any automated
mailing lists using your real address. Note: there is no need to
resubscribe to any amsat.org mailing lists; these subscriptions will
automatically resume as soon as the system is fixed.

A few reminders:

* Test messages to the mailing list are never a good idea. If you
wonder if something is broken, you can ask me instead.

* Discussion of this event on the mailing lists is off topic. Please
direct your comments about this to me, and restrict your postings to
the AMSAT-BB mailing list to subjects concerning amateur radio
satellites.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org