Lights from Heaven

Look up.  When ICEsat flies over (at night) it is scanning the earth with
a 100 meter wide spot from a green lazer.  The lazer is pulsed at 40 Hz.
Supposidly  if you take a time exposure you will see a brief trail of
green dots.  And you can see it by the eye too..

I dont have time to do the back-of-the-envelope calculations, but if the
spot is only 100 meters wide, yet it has to cover a HUGE footprint in a
single pass, then the time it is pointing at you is very small.  SO dont
blink or you might miss it.

Just something for the amateur satellite and astronomers to ponder...
I was told it is listed in the NASA elements by name ICEsat...

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob