G5500 Control Box Problem

> Yesterday my G5500 azimuth analog readout on the control box started
giving
> sporadic readouts between 225-320 degrees. I can move the antenna in that
> range and Uni_Trac can read it digitally in it's software correctly and
> control the rotator correctly.

I do not have that model of unit but have 5400 that is probably similiar.
It sounds like the wiper in the rotor.  I bet the program has a dead band
feature that is clouding the irratic readings.You could dis connect the
leads for the wiper and move the rotor with the console switches and check
the resistance.  Bet the resitance moves about in that area.

I have to take the elevation unit off every couple of years and clean the
wiper for just that reason.

Hope that helps a bit.......

Bill VE3NXK
sunny Sundridge, Ontario, Canada