Re: Station logs etc

on 3/19/03 8:30 PM, Bill Booth at 710138@ican.net wrote:

> As a newbie on the birds I am now starting to wonder about some small items.

Hi Bill,

Replying to both you and the list as others may find this useful as well.

> For a station log what is normal.  I keep a paper bound ARRL one for my HF,
> but I am finding that most operators have the information at their
> fingertips.  Therefore they must be using a computer one.  So which ones are
> best......and do you print out a paper copy at say month end to make sure
> you do not lose the log.  Software and operating systems being what they are
> these days.  Maybe some general comments about what you do for logs......

Until about 3 months ago, I used paper logs for everything but contests.
But it was beginning to get cumbersome to do QSL work.  There's very many
good logging programs out there, but the program I settled on for the time
being is VQLog (www.vqlog.com).  It's a very nice program written by EA3VQ
(if I remember correctly) and it costs just $15.00.  The program uses the
Microsoft Access database format.  And it has excellent VHF and satellite
capabilities including tracking what satellite you worked and what mode for
each QSO.  It also keeps track of grid squares, etc.  Finally it interfaces
to all the major callsign database CDs (not the web).  It has good QSL
creation and label capabilities, etc.  For the cost, it's a great, great
product.  The only thing it does not do is control the rig.

In terms of printing it out - I haven't done that yet.  I tend to keep paper
logs as well for those contacts I want to be sure I have logged.  So I do
both.  I also regularly back up the database on the computer.  I did
accidentally lose some of my Qs once.

> Another question concerns the frequency.  What frequency do you show in the
> log.  Transmitt or recieve.  Same with the QSL cards.....do you show
> transmitt or recieve frequency....or does it really matter.

Most satellite ops record the uplink and downlink bands on the QSL cards and
I'd assume in their logs.  For example:  435/2401 or 435/145, etc.  I
generally don't worry about the exact frequency as it's too difficult to
keep track of and in the case of AO-40 it's hard to know exactly what
frequency you are on with most downconverters, etc.  QSL cards also show the
satellite.

In some cases, it may be important to show both frequencies as there are
some satellites that operate in different modes.  AO-40 does as it has U/S,
L/S, U/K, L/K and even S/K capabilities.  AO-7 operates on 432/145 or 145/29
depending on how it wakes up.

> Am enjoying AO-40 right now.......have to try the others during the
> eclipse..

Glad ur are having fun.  It was nice working you last (Tuesday) night.
Sorry I had to leave to go eat dinner.

73,

Jon
NA9D