Re: 70cm helical antenna

 Jeff Davis writes:

> anybody using a helix on 145mhz with any success?

I built and used one for AO-6 in my early satellite days. They work. But, as
someone already commented, a 2m helix is BIG. I took mine through the local
streets for a local show - the locals still laugh about this satellite nut
walking down the road carrying a giant bed-spring. I still have a couple of
70cm helices in my attic: broom-handle up the middle and the spiral is made
from some old coaxial cable (inner and outer shorted together).

But you can't change the polarization once its made - I did these because I
couldn't understand how to *phase* a crossed yagi.

I see the RSGB are still using parts of my "how to make it" article (from
about 1974) in their latest handbook (RSGB Handbook, seventh edition,
pp 14.31/32)   ;)

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org