S-Band Preamp Necessary?

I've been experimenting with a couple old offset antennas I've had in my garage
for a while.  One is the Primestar, the other is a DirecPC.

I've had very minor success in hearing AO-40, and I believe that this is due to
the feed assembly not being quite as good as it should be.  However, I'm
curious if it's generally accepted that a preamplifier is required.