S/K Test Report 15 March 2003

All,

Conditions for this test were much more difficult than for the previous
one.  At my location the squint went from 12 deg at the start to 10 deg at
the end.  K-Band signals were accordingly much weaker than last time (about
10dB by ear).  Also the signal was fading into the noise, making it harder
to find initially.  The lower signal level and increased fadingc depth
caused by the high squint are as expected from last year's K-Band squint
report ( see http://www.g3wdg.free-online.co.uk/kband.htm).

Uplink tests again were only with the S1 receiver.  This time I tried two
different tx power levels, 7.5W as last time, and 900mW.  Feeder loss from
the tx to the feedpoint is about 1.5dB.   The 900mW signal was about 3dB
weaker than the 7.5W signal on the downlink, despite the 9dB difference in
power levels.  This is not too surprising given the values of S1 agc
reported by W4SM (up to 17dB), and the limiting characteristics  of the
K-Band transmitter.

No other signals were heard in the passband during the test, (apart from
the beacon)

73

Charlie G3WDG