Re: Saturday Night at the Movies

> I believe that the radio was a Heathkit SB102.  Here
> is another good exercise.  See how many movies/TV
> shows you can think of that make reference to ham
> radio.  Here is my list so far:
>
> 1. Frequency
> 2. High Frequency-see a kid on 1 land work HB on 2 mhz
> at the middle of the afternoon.  Uses Icom Equipment
> 3. Phenomenom-believe they are using Kenwood TS940
> 4. Contact
> 5. The Munsters-herman gets a ham radio with a really
> big tube in it. Sings over the air
> 6. The Simpsons-in one episode, we see that one of
> Marge's sisters is a ham radio operator.  It is her
> only form of social contact (that hits close to home)
>
> Any others you can think of?

Saturday Night Live.  In one of the earlier seasons, during a point/counter-point
spoof of their "Weekend News Update."  It's in the third paragraph.

        From Saturday Night Live Transcripts:
Dan Aykroyd: I'm station manager Dan Aykroyd. During the past few weeks
in Los Angeles, actor Lee Marvin and his former live-in companion
Michelle Triola Marvin have been in court to settle her claim that he
owes her half his income from the six years they lived together. That
is the subject of tonight's Point-Counterpoint. Jane will take the
pro-Michelle Marvin point, while I will take the anti-Michelle Triola
counterpoint. Jane?

Jane Curtin: Dan, times change and so does the nature of relationships.
People are reluctant to get married these days and looking at divorce
statistics, who can blame them. But the lack of a piece of paper does
not neccessarily mean a lack of a total commitment. A woman is this
modern-day relationship may well give up all her personal pursuits, as
Michelle Marvin claims she did, to give her full support to her man's
career. And Michelle Marvin is just asking that the courts recognize
that reality. Dan, there's an old saying: "Behind every successful man
there's a woman." A loving, giving, caring woman. But you wouldn't know
about that, Dan, because there's no old saying about what's behind a
miserable failure. [ gives a look of arrogance ]

Dan Aykroyd: Jane, you ignorant slut! Bagged-out, dried-up, slunken meat
like you and Michelle Triola know the rules. If you want a contract,
sign on the dotted line. Oh, but let's all shed a tear for poor Michelle
Triola. There was only testimony that she had sexual intercourse over
forty times with another man while living with actor Lee Marvin. But
I suppose that sort of fashionable promiscuity means nothing to you,
Jane, who hops from bed to bed with the frequency of a cheap ham radio.
But hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn, and Michelle Triola, like a
screeching, squealing, reptatious swamp sow is after actor Lee Marvin's
last three million dollars. I guess what you and Michelle are saying is
that when you're on your backs, the meter is running. Well, please spare
us, gals, and tell us the rate's at the top. Then we can choose which
two bit tarts and bargain basement sluts to shack up with.

I think that I recall watching this live while I was in college, would have
been '78 or '79 maybe?

louie
WA3YMH