Re: left/right

on 3/13/03 7:41 PM, w7lrd@juno.com at w7lrd@juno.com wrote:

> My uplink antenna is an KLM 18 el. cp.  It defaults to RHCP, I am
> considering hooking up 12V to flip the cp.  Is this necessary for
> uplinking to AO-40?  I have never heard anyone doing this or mentioning
> it on the satellite.

Hi Bob,

For AO-40, I have not yet needed the polarity switching.  In fact, I just
hooked up the polarity switch lines about 2 weeks ago.  In the playing
around I have done, it doesn't help but hurts drastically.  You easily see
the polarization difference between RHCP and LHCP.  So if you only work
AO-40, don't bother.

On the other hand, if you work LEOs, it's a completely different story.
Polarization switching helps big time there on birds like the FO and AO-7.
It's also helped some on SO-50 when I've played with it.  If AO-10 ever
comes back to life, polarization switching is an absolute necessity.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden