S-band antenna found

I happened to be cruising a thrift store today at lunch and came upon what looked to be an old MMDS antenna - a can horn with a 32 disk-directors in front of it.  For $1 it was mine and I started thinking about getting into AO-40 Mode-S reception.  The converter on the back of the horn looks awfully simple - doesn't seem to even be crystal-controlled? Can it be converted for use?

My junk box has a Conifer CIT-LN (boards marked "D-G/10") downconverter which I'm thinking might be a better choice to be modified for Mode-S reception.  I could duplicate the existing probe in the horn but bring the coax out to the external downconverter.  Does this seem a practical plan?

Or perhaps I should be on the lookout for some other downconverter?

Steve  WD8DAS

sbjohnston@aol.com