Re: Lightning and neutral grounding

Another comment an old friend of mine made about ground rods
while he was talking about the chemical reaction between the rod
and Mother Earth was the angle. He said while it may seem like
you should drive the rod straight down in the ground that one
should not do this depending on where they live. Since a ground
rod does not work in rock very well, then a lower angle like 35-45
degrees would be the best if you were hitting rock. I though to
myself and said, this guy is pretty sharp. The more soil that the
rod contacts insures the reaction between the rod and Mother
Earth. So, if I were to hit rock 3-4 feet down with no way around
it, and I live in a very rocky area, then I would pull the rod out and
lower the angle of attack. He said it was better to be contacting
soil than to fool yourself that a rock would provide a good ground.
Bringing the brain out of the standard way of approaching the
problem is the hard part.

If a good ground is out of the question due to elements like rock,
then you have to look in to properly floating the ground safely.

Tim - N8DEU
Huntsville, Alabama