Re: Lightning and neutral grounding

Have been enjoying the thread about grounding etc.
At my QTH, the soil has a very high shrink/swell
characteristic. Using the water assist method gets the
ground rod in (assuming you miss the many appliance sized
boulders that are buried here). The only problem is that
the soil shrinks away from the rod when it dries. Not good.

My usual routine is:
Drive rod into boulder..remove rod and start 3 feet away.
Drive rod into boulder..remove rod and start 3 feet away.
DRIVE ROD INTO BOULDER......YES I KNOW I'M SHOUTING
(dogs are now all hiding)

Once they are in I CADWELD all the connections, especially the
ones around the tower. A good lightning strike will usually weld the
ground clamps for you, but this is not as desirable :-)

73
Gene